Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Today...

Today somebody woke up ready to face their day.
Today somebody hurried through their Tuesday 'to do' list; grabbed lunch on the go, and rushed off to fit in some of tomorrows chores.
Today somebody counted down the minutes on the clock, ready to race home, make dinner, and then watch their favorite show.
Today somebody was shot.
Today somebody got a phone call that would change their life forever.
Tonight somebody will be planning a funeral instead of watching t.v.

We're often told that tomorrow isn't promised and to live everyday as if it were your last. But what if tomorrow were promised....for you.

Today I am not questioning my own mortality; I am at peace with that.
What I am not at peace with is losing one of my children.

Losing someone that you love is the worst feeling in the world. You suffocate. You wish for the escape that death would bring; you beg for it. No matter how at peace you are with where that person is, you will never see them again and that is final. You have no say in it; no amount of bargaining will ever bring them back.

Two and a half years ago I lost my counterpart. Today, the women who received his kidney lost her son. His name was Orlando and he was shot. I can't help but think that when she got her kidney transplant and learned it came from an 18 year old boy; somebodies son, she must have cherished Orlando; hugging him tightly and thinking 'I don't know what I would do if I ever lost you...'; and today she did. My heart is truly breaking for her. My prayer don't seem strong enough.

No comments: